22 January, 2008

Ham Serial Part Four: Light em up


Cold Smoking and Hot Smoking Ham and Bacon.

This is yesterday about three. Three pieces of cured belly and a ham.


The idea here is to apply smoke by smoldering sawdust over an electric hot plate. The outside air temp (28 F) kept the main chamber below 90 F.


Six hours and two inches of snow later, it time to put these bits to bed.

Today I fired up the bullet and I did some minor tying to round out the joint. The smoker settled at 200F.



I placed the bacon on the lower level. After about an hour the bacon had reached 150F, so I took them out.






After a total of six hours smoking, the ham got to an internal temp of 155F. Done. Was all the fussing worth it? I dunno, we'll find out soon.

Cheers.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Wow! I think I'm looking forward to cutting in as much as you are. Nice work.

Jim said...

Serious anticipation
Dekker

mac said...

It's comin but first I gotta deep fat fryer smell out of my clothes. Thanks for checking in.

Cheers.